I follow Gretchin Rubin on her website at www.happiness-project.com. She recently posted something that made me snicker: 12 tips to create a happier, more productive workplace! As you know, my workplace is my home. My job title includes everything from poop clean up and disposal to life coach/counselor to food preparation to activities director to whatever else needs to happen to ensure the health and safety of the two people "under" me who constantly behave like children (the nerve!) Let's look at these tips, shall we? I am defining "at work" to be the times I am home with our kids while Superman is also at work.
See if you find a way to answer "yes" to these 12 questions:
1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
(Yes. Everything. All the time.)
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work correctly?
(Sometimes. Sometimes not. Depends on who you ask.)
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
(HAH. Not a chance.)
4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
(No. My daughter's definition of "good work" is quite a bit different from mine.)
5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
(Not really. More as a provider of food and clean bottoms.)
6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
(Not so much.)
7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?
(Not one bit. But fortunately I have the last word.)
8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel like my work is important?
(This is quite possibly the only thing keeping me from quitting on a daily basis!)
9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
(Yes. Thanks Superman!)
10. Do I have a best friend at work?
(Does Facebook count?!?)
11. In the last six months, have I talked with someone about my progress?
12. This last year, have I had opportunities at work to learn and grow?